My internet has been complete garbage the past couple of days, so I’m late posting this to various social media spots, for which I apologize!
Mars takes two years to make its journey around the sun, and as the planet of drive and action, it’s often described in terms related to the archetypal hero’s journey – the knight sets forth, has adventures, slays a dragon and all, and ultimately returns home different, having gained or learned something or grown in some way.
This two-year cycle began anew earlier in October when the sun conjoined Mars on October 7th. Then the sun entered Scorpio on October 23rd, heralding what is shaping up to be a pretty darned eventful “Scorpio season,” astrologically speaking. The sun is joined by Mars entering Scorpio for the first time in two years on October 30-31st (depending on where you live). Scorpio is Mars’ domicile or home territory.
So there’s a LOT of energy here to be harnessed for growth and productivity. Mars has that penchant for action, even confrontation, and Scorpio brings a capacity for keen observation and careful examination so that action can be based on the most solid intelligence available, whether of the seedy underside of a public facade, the disavowed corners and closets of the personal psyche, or the unvarnished foundation upon which a potential colleague, ally, or partner has built their promises (so you can know whether you can trust them or not).
To put it another way, this isn’t the young, naive, overconfident knight riding forth thinking to make his reputation and finding in his first encounter that dragons are a hell of a lot bigger than he thought and this armor is actually *incredibly uncomfortable.*
Rather, this is the knight who’s sought and considered good counsel, who’s been training and studying, and who’s held vigil in the chapel the night before, praying, searching his soul, and ordering his thoughts. So he rides out at dawn fully aware that the task might be difficult and victory uncertain, completely accepting that this journey could involve discomfort and fear, but confident that the fight is one worth fighting and he’s been able to make an accurate self-assessment of his fitness for the quest.
Of course it doesn’t have to be so grand as all that with some epic opponent. That is, after all, just an analogy. But this sort of energy is useful in much more mundane and practical situations as well, and that is what this service is designed to help you with:
- if you need greater focus and clarity
- if you’ve been struggling to make a tough decision or to take action on a complex issue
- if a situation is so complicated you haven’t been able to see the forest for the trees
- if an area of your life needs remodeling, reinventing, “curating,” or “deep cleaning”
- if you need support in navigating and disarming your own psychological or emotional minefields that have held you back in the past
- if you’re finally ready to “put your armor on” and go out to that dark old forest and fight whatever your personal dragon is
- if you have a fixed rising sign, fixed moon, or predominantly fixed chart and need support towards the goal of getting through Scorpio season without Hulk-smashing the people and entities you will encounter who will obstruct your path or suggest that your emotions about your situation aren’t the most important thing right now
Some key points in the Mars in Scorpio timeline and what the service will be supporting or focusing on:
- October 31st – Mars in Scorpio; Getting familiar with the woods in Scorpio season, seeing clearly, getting the lay of the land, assessing accurately, examining unflinchingly; taking action based on solid intelligence and accurate calculations.
- November 5th – Mercury in Scorpio; listening to our intuition without ignoring or foregoing rational assessment of the possible courses of action we might take in response; not going off half-cocked despite our eagerness to *be there already.*
- November 10th – Mars square Saturn in Aquarius; not being defeated by delays, setbacks, and obstacles but rather accepting them as the specialized live training exercise Saturn is offering us to help us fine-tune our strategies; doing necessary maintenance on our “equipment and weapons”; restocking provisions and reserves.
- November 17th – Mars opposite Uranus in Taurus; harnessing restless energy to direct it towards creative problem-solving and thinking outside the box; resisting shiny distractions and unnecessary side quests that take us off-course; staying the course in the face of frustration or the unexpected.
- November 20th – Mars square Saturn backs the hell off finally; integrating and processing the lessons Saturn has imparted; getting our sights set clearly on the goal for the next stage of our journey, armed with this new wisdom and experience.
- December 7th – Mars square Jupiter in Aquarius; acting on hard-earned confidence and courage without overestimating our own abilities or underestimating what we’re up against; looking really epic and having great lighting on our best side as we deliver a decisive blow, pass an important milestone, or land a significant achievement.
- December 13th – Mars leaves Scorpio for Sagittarius; everybody gets a cookie. And by cookie, I mean a Crown of Success light setting to see them on their way to the next phase of their journey.
Learn more or book your spot now at Seraphin Station.
I’m still not caught up from the backlog due to weather/~3 weeks offline. But I want to illustrate why all of my handling/turnaround times are estimates only and a service can take longer than expected. 
I just finished a reading that a client booked last month.
The typed reading was 7,000 words long.
If I were still a freelance editor or writer working in Times New Roman 12 point font with 1″ margins, that would be 14 single-spaced pages.
It wasn’t some special “next five years” or extended birthday reading. It was just a regular old Tarot reading. But it was an incredibly important issue for the client and a pretty complicated situation with a lot of moving parts connected in sometimes quite subtle ways. And the cards were really digging into some nooks and crannies. I had no idea it was going to end up being that long. But that’s where the reading went, so that’s where I went, and that’s how long it took.
And that’s how I work. You’re reserving your spot in line when you place an order. Just like every other client, you’ll get your report or your stuff when it’s your turn in the queue. And when it’s your turn, you’ll get my full personal attention, just like every other client, and that takes as long as it takes.
Every item and service listing explains that my handling/turnaround times are estimates only, as do the site Terms of Service and the FAQ, and they explain that I do not give play-by-plays or answer emails asking, “just checking to see when it will be ready.” If you’re asking that, you didn’t read the item details/TOS. So when I get to your “just checking” email in the queue, I’m gonna cancel your order and send you a refund if I haven’t started work on it yet, ’cause we aren’t gonna be a good fit to work together.
But I promise you, if you are waiting in the queue and your reading or service or reply or order is later than you expect, *I have a good damned reason.* And I assure you that when it’s your turn in the queue, you’ll get that same personal attention.
To those of you who are waiting patiently, I very much appreciate your understanding and I am not taking your patience for granted. I’m steadily working on getting caught up and I am very grateful for your patronage and trust. ❤
 This isn’t even touching on how long it takes me to make it through the various inboxes of all the various platforms and sites, and my God, there are a lot of them, and I have ADD and a farm to look after, and I need a virtual assistant. I’m not even kidding. Email resume and references to karmazain at gmail if you’re interested.
We have (mostly)* reliable internet again for the first time since March 23rd. Of course, now we have no hot water because there’s never a dull moment at Seraphin Station.**
Y’all, the backlog on email (esp. light setting reports, readings, and consultations), DMs/PMs on various platforms, and Etsy messages is freakin’ considerable. It’s about to storm, but I’m gonna get started on trying to prioritize all these messages in all these inboxes as soon as I get in from weather prep (protecting the more delicate and/or new plants and getting the chickens set up in case we get any flash flooding – there’s an advisory and we live on the edge of a swamp).
Let’s hope the internet still works after it rains again. (Storms are why it quit working last time.)
*This is still the worst ISP in North America and they still haven’t buried the DSL line, so…
View original post 534 more words
Booking deadline for New Moon in Aries Road Opening service is midnight Central time on the 10th of April.
This is a specific rite with a specific start and end time rather than a vigil light setting service. It’s designed to remove obstacles in preparation for new beginnings.
Visit Seraphin Station for details and booking info.
I’m offering community honey jar altar work monthly, beginning after the new moon each month. One service is for matters relating to prosperity/career/income and one is for matters relating to love/relationships (they don’t have to be romantic relationships). January’s community altar work services start on Wednesday, January 13th.
Here are the details for the prosperity/career/income service:
This service, focusing on goals related to prosperity, work, income, and career success, has your name/petition added to a sweet jar with the names/petitions of other community members having similar goals. I work these community jars on my altars for a month, from new moon to new moon, with special attention to pertinent moon phases, astrological transits, holy days, etc. as applicable. Participants receive a link to my client calendar detailing the work over the course of the month and are invited to a private Discord chat for participants for that month.
View original post 867 more words
Available through Seraphin Station, this rosary is handmade with a mix of pressed glass and Czech glass beads, each decade being separately attached to the center ring — a finger rosary — and embellished with a focal Pater bead of pressed glass, Czech glass, or in one case recycled sandcast glass. Whether you want to see this as a charm collection on a charm hanger displaying seven individual chaplets or single-decade rosaries, or as a sort of deconstructed All Saints’ rosary for contemporary rootworkers, this is a striking and unusual piece created by a rootworker with over 35 years of experience working with the roots, rosaries, and these saints in the folk Catholic tradition.
Large, sturdy, colored aluminum jump rings connect each decade to the center ring, so it’s possible, should you ever want to, to remove the individual decades and treat them as separate single-decade chaplets. This could be useful if you are working intensively with one or some but not all of these saints or if you’re traveling and need to cut down on how much spiritual stuff you’re lugging around.
Saints are chosen for their importance in the spiritual landscape of deep South hoodoo rootwork, with an eye towards popularity and contemporary usage (in the sense that while 100 years ago, St. Dymphna was probably not petitioned so often in conjure, today she is an enormously popular saint invoked by folks from all kinds of backgrounds and in all kinds of folk belief contexts. So she’s here!)
It’s made with strands or decades for the following:
- St. Gerard, patron of pregnancy and childbirth in the Catholic tradition, also represents Baron Samedi of Haitian vodou in some houses and temples. He is the patron of communication with the ancestors and the dead. On the other side of this medal is Our Lady of Perpetual Help pictured with Christ and the angels Michael and Gabriel. OL of Perpetual Help is called on for all kinds of things – in hoodoo in my region, it’s often against sickness, income uncertainty, hunger, and unstable households. She’s known to help with all of those things. She’s also associated in some houses and temples with the lwa Erzulie Danto.
- St. Lazarus is the patron saint of lepers and against leprosy, and by extension against plague and pandemic in contemporary practice. He’s also sometimes invoked by beggars, the homeless, people with HIV/AIDS, people with Hansen’s disease, and those who have unusually close relationships with dogs. He represents the lwa Legba, the patron of Yoruban divination and master of the crossroads, in many temples and houses, so he’s a powerful ally in road opening work.
- St. Expedite is the patron saint invoked for fast luck, for help breaking through obstacles, for help with procrastination, and, increasingly, in desperate cases, much like St. Jude. He’s also the patron of computer programmers. In some regions and in some houses, he’s associated with the Ghuede lwa who rule the crossroads between life and death, esp. Baron Samedi.
- St. Jude, the patron invoked for hopeless causes, is also called on more generally in conjure for financial prosperity and stability and is a good ally for those whose livelihoods involve working with emotional clients/customers and whose incomes can fluctuate for a host of reasons.
- St. Christopher is the patron saint of travelers, children, and boat captains, invoked for safe travel. In some houses in New Orleans Voodoo, in which Santeria has had a noticeable influence, he is associated with the orisha Agayu. He presents his devotees with difficult obstacles but also grants them the inner power to overcome those trials and grow strong enough to carry all burdens.
- St. Philomena is widely considered a miracle worker invoked by devotees for all kinds of things when other measures have failed. She’s the patron of babies and children and is considered the patroness of the living rosary. In some houses and temples, she is a lwa in her own right, seen as a helpful and pleasant spirit who helps those who make their livings as market sellers, removes negativity and evil from the surroundings, and grants the ability to have prophetic dreams.
- St. Joseph is the patron saint of happy death, carpenters, stepfathers, and workers more generally, invoked in all kinds of situations to do with the financial wellbeing of a family and/or household, but especially petitioned by those seeking employment. He’s also called on by folks who need to sell their house. He’s associated with the lwa Papa Loko, the originary houngan and healer. St. Dymphna is on the reverse side of this medal. She is widely invoked against mental illness, anxiety, and depression, and she’s the patron of incest survivors and teenage runaways.
Some of these associations vary by region and the religious background of the practitioner, so I don’t mean to imply here that most modern rootworkers work with St. Gerard because of his association with a particular lwa in Haitian sevis. Most rootworkers do no such thing. Hoodoo and vodou are of course two distinct traditions, the former being folk magic and the latter being a religion. In Louisiana, though, especially New Orleans and surrounding areas, there is a strain of practice where the two are often blended to a greater extent than elsewhere as a result of the city’s unique history.Continue reading “Hoodoo Rootworker’s Seven-Way Rosary Chaplet – SOLD”
It still has a few feathers sticking out but I think it’s now functional. So you can click the image above or navigate to www.seraphinstation.com to go to the new storefront.
I launched it before it was quite pretty just to get the ball rolling on this fundraising sale. It’s for a friend who is facing eviction due to a pileup of circumstances during COVID lockdown. So you can shop for a good cause while you shop for a good sale. (Or you can donate without purchasing, but that’s not nearly as much fun.)
Read the sale details here. Currently listed:
- Ultimate Crown of Success
- Come to Me
- Look Me Over
- Love Drawing
- Money Drawing
- Sovereign Queen
- Special Wick Oil #20
- St. Dymphna
- St. Expedite
- Triple Strength Love Whammy
Vigil light setting services
- plain single color glass-encased
- run of multiple plain glass-encased
- St. Dymphna Handpainted Medal on Beaded Crochet Necklace
- St. Peter’s Keys – Legba Altar Bottle
- Red Brick Dust
- Red Fire Ant Nest Dirt
- Peaceful Home Mojo Egg Curio, Fixed, Decorated, Customized
Updates on items/shop stuff are usually posted to the Seraphin Station blog. So if you’re following this blog but not Seraphin Station, you could be missing news (and rambling) about spiritual supplies and tangibles. Big Lucky Hoodoo will continue to be rootwork-specific, and you can find my services here, but the *stuff* is at the Seraphin Station shop.
You can sign up for the shop mailing list to get a “welcome coupon,” plus I send out subscriber-only offers, advance access to cool stuff, and surveys that I weigh very seriously when I’m deciding what soap to make next or what kind of Rewards Program stuff to set up for y’all.
I’m gradually updating/editing the existing resources and links here at Big Lucky Hoodoo and turning the old blog posts into actual articles.